July 19, 2011

Athens Y Camp

We took our sweet Lillee to Athens Y Camp/Camp Chattooga this past Sunday. Daughter doing great, mom needing medication. She was ecstatic! She's been talking about it since she got out of school. In hindsight it probably would've been easier for her to go at the beginning of the summer. I was used to her being at school all day. Now I've had her all summer to myself and I miss her. I would never let her know that though. All of my letters to her tell her how much I miss her cutting on the 18th Star Wars the Clone Wars for Baxter each day!
This camp is in Tallulah Falls, GA. It's about 2 1/2 hours from the Griff. Her dear friend Ellis was going so she jumped at the chance to go too. I'm glad they knew each other but if they're anything like their mamas, they don't meet a stranger!
When we arrived we got her bed made up and they were off to do their swim tests. The cabins were really old school. There's no AC blowing on these campers. I think that's awesome. One of the small things from my childhood camps that she can experience. Ellis and Lillee both decided on top bunks so they're right next to each other.
We got an email that the theme for the boy/girl get-together would be "Christmas in July." We couldn't find a Christmas sweater so Lillee came up with this costume. Of course I had to sew the skirt and take off the yellow lace but it somewhat came together.
Here's her trunk that Aunt Sandra recommended to us. I would've loved something like this when I was at camp. Everything fits nicely inside. I felt like I was getting ready for rush week or decolores with the paint pens.
I got a picture of my neurotic packing job. I did separate outfits into ziploc bags but that is only because I ask Lillee first and she thought it was a great idea. I am fully prepared for utter chaos that she has made the trunk into now. However, I can have a peace that I did send it completely, ridiculously organized. There was a bag for underwear, a bag for socks, a bag for shampoo, bag for bathing suits, pajamas, you name it and it has a ziploc and sharpie somewhere on it. Hey, it's our first camp!
I do miss her terribly. Thankfully we are able to check the website each night and see pics of her. She looks like she's having an awesome time, which I absolutely expected. She's so independent and outgoing and I'm so proud of her. I can't wait to hear all about the new friendships she's formed. After her swim test she told us goodbye and ran off. That made it a little easier on me that she was so strong. However, when we got in the car Ben kept saying, "Sissy, Sissy, Sissy." I told him to shhhhh.... These boys really do miss her. There have been a lot less clothes going through the washer and dryer this week but she's making friends and memories to last forever.

1 comment:

Amy and Matt Certain said...

Crying!! Big girl. You are an amazing mom.