April 28, 2010

Passport

I'm not sure if I can relay how comical this morning actually was. Baxter is in need of a passport for our cruise this summer. We realized BOTH parents have to be present WITH THE MINOR. Scott's calendar is full so we had to really work to schedule this. We got Lillee off to school (without a lunchbox), picked Brooks up and headed to the courthouse. I had Ben in my car following Scott with Bax and Brooks. We arrived at the courthouse and out we all pile.
I had in hand:
1. a 25 lb. carseat
2. Baxter's birth certificate
3. passport photos from CVS in a little envelope
4. passport application which I filled out a week ago

Trying to let the boys help me I gave Baxter the birth certificate to carry and Brooks the envelope of passport photos.

We all come through the doors laughing and making jokes with the guards at the metal detectors when you walk in. I was thinking that there was no telling what may be in these 4 year old little boy's pockets! They ushered us right on through without a blink. I'm assuming Scott was thinking this was a "perk" of being with him! Ha.
The five of us take the elevator to the 2nd floor and into the quiet little probate court office.
DING DONG - this is the noise the door makes to let them know someone has opened the door.
We give Chuck our paperwork.
Chuck: we will need two separate checks
Jenn: oops. Scotty, I left my wallet in the car. Do you mind getting it?
Scott: sure
DING DONG
I tell Chuck so sorry I left that. Let's proceed to the application process. He says he can't until the father comes back.
DING DONG
Scott: Geez Jenn, now we've got it together.
Chuck: I need both parent's license please.
check
Chuck: I see you did not fill in his social security number. Does he have one?
Jenn: yes. I'm so sorry Chuck. It's at home. Is there anyway I can call you as soon as I get home in 10 mins with the number?
Chuck: No
Jenn: I'm so sorry - it's really tough to get everyone together and to get both of our schedules to allow us to be here.
Chuck: looks around..... OK.
Chuck: and do you have the photo passports pictures?
Jenn: right here -
I open the envelope and NO PICTURES
Jenn: Um Scott....I know I had them. They've been in my car for three weeks now.
Scott: I"ll go retrace our steps.
DING DONG
Chuck: I really cannot process application until you get me the pictures and the social security number.
Jenn: Sorry Chuck. This is our life!
DING DONG
Scott: I found 2 Jenn. Were there more?
Jenn: Yes, there were like 8 but Chuck only needs 2.
BIG SIGH OF RELIEF AS CHUCK PROMISES TO HOLD APPLICATION UNTIL I GET HOME TO CALL WITH SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!
Scott: I need to grab a transcript from the 3rd floor. I'll be right back.
DING DONG

A lady appears from behind the wall and asks Chuck if there was a reason the bell kept going off? She looks at me, checks out the baby on the floor in the infant seat, looks at both boys sitting nicely and asks again if there was something she needed to do/help with. She continued on by telling me that they have to listen out for bell to see if it was another customer and it was appearing that there were lots of people coming in and out when in reality it was just our group. Chuck looks at me to explain.
Jenn: Ma'am, my husband had to go out to get my wallet to pay you. Next, he had to go on a hunt for lost passport pictures. Now he has gone up to the 3rd floor to get a transcript. This is our life.
Lady huffs off clearly irritated with the DING DONG....

Bax and Brooks which are seated in chairs next to the window looking out into the hallway begin knocking on window hey Mr. Scott, hey Daddy.
DING DONG
Scott: Ok, all set?
At this point we've been there for almost 45 mins. It's time to pull the card.
Jenn: Chuck, is Judge Simonton here?
Chuck: Um, I'm not sure if he's in yet?
Jenn: He is very aware of our crazy life and crazy children. They run underneath him all the time at church.
Chuck: I see you're from Brunswick. Which church did you go to there? I used to work at Epworth By the Sea. Let me get this finished up for you Ms. Key.

Big sigh of relief from Brooks and Baxter! They were really good. They sat in the waiting area trading Silly Bands.

I tell Chuck I'll call him within 1/2 hour as our six year old left her lunchbox and I have deliver it to her school after dropping two boys off at their school!
Chuck internally thinks we are NUTS!
DING DONG
we're outta there........


Five minutes later I'm cruising to CVS to grab a birthday card my phone rings.
"Hello Mrs. Key. This is Dewitt Simonton. Someone found some pictures of your handsome son in the courthouse. Would you like for me to hold these for you? How is Scott? I enjoy him so much on our committee."
I tell him thank you so much and apologize for any chaos in the office and how helpful Chuck was. I ask him to please deposit extra pictures into the trash for us. I really had in my head to tell him about this very unpleasant lady that wanted the DING DONG to stop. However, I did not. What a nice man.

Ben and I get home and call Chuck with the SSN.

I guess we're going on the cruise after all!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you God for Chuck and all the other angels you place around my loved ones.........."D"

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! Love it. Brett and I got our passports last week for our cruise this summer and Brett set the DING DONG off 3 times. I never thought we would get out of there. Thank goodness I just work down the hall.
Maggie