March 26, 2007

After our Saturday adventure to Atlanta, we had to take a brief respite before starting our week. Saturday a.m. while the cleaning crew was here we headed up to REI. Scott wanted to go look at kayak stuff but I have to admit that I knew they were having a sale and I wanted my own North Face jacket and LG needed some shoes for the beach. After getting lost (the man has only been there about 4 or 5 times) and sitting in traffic, we arrived there 2 hours later. I was hesitant to purchase the Cliff bar LG snagged from the shelf but 2 1/2 hours later in the car while Baxter was screaming for food, I was glad she grabbed it. We sat in traffic for awhile and Scott had the briliant idea of getting off 75 in Riverdale then going to Fayetteville. It was a scorcher and as we drove through Fayetteville, he commented that if only we didn't have a shower (I missed it), a birthday party at 2:00 (got there at 2:30), a Sunday School cookout at 5:00 and two kids in the backseat, we could sit outside on the patio of La Parilla and drink margaritas all afternoon. Reality check: not happening anytime soon in say, the next 18 years.

Taking both kids to the outlet mall solo yesterday also proved to be entertaining. LG needed Easter shoes and we got them with minimal drama. I wanted to run in the Children's Place to look for some shorts for her. She stood outside with her hands on her hips and commanded she was not coming in the store. I kept walking inside while keeping one eye on her. Then, she came sailing through the front door and landed flat of her face. I finally just put the children in the car and went to my surrogate mother Theresa's house in Jackson to visit. She had no beverages on hand for me but she had just finished the coolest cake recipe I've heard of. Yellow cake mix in a 9 x 13 pan. Bake and then poke holes in it. Pour strawberry jello into cake and top with cool whip and strawberries. Mmmmm.

Starting off the week I had parent conferences at school from 2-6. Meeting with parents is so different now that I have kids of my own. It's tough. Gearing up for the CRCT!!! I pulled in the driveway at 6:10, left the car running and Scott headed back to church. Two ships passing in the night.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been there once, but I trusted you had found a better way when you printed up the mapquest directions. Too bad the address you typed in was for Northside Drive and not Northeast Parkway. Instead of going to REI, your route took us on a scenic tour of the dangerous lane where the bus went off the bridge, down the hill, past two strip clubs, into an old warehouse district that appeared, from the spray paint on the wall, to be the territory of the gangsta outlaws. I called the store and got us out of urban blight and to REI, where droves of people in khakki shorts had gathered for the scratch and ding sale.

Baxter made shoe shopping a real adventure. As you and LGK tried on multiple pairs of toddler tevas, baxter made the store his own personal corn maze. He crawled through the aisled at mock 3, with me chasing behind. I'd catch him, and bring him back to the shoe area only to see him leaving again. We had fun, but it was another public outing where I felt like I was being perceived as a big redneck.

We peeled out of the parking lot, rebel flag in tow, with our new dope gear along with a membership in REI. I look forward to the telemarketer calls from Field and Stream.

On the way home, we stopped at Zaxby's, where I bought fries to tear up and feed to the caged boy in the carseat on the way home.

When we arrived, it was time to go to yet another birthday party. When I got back from that, it was time to go to a barbeque.

I had a great twenty-minute nap on Sunday before going to play golf.

I wouldn't trade it for all the Margaritas in Mexico, or even all the margaritas in Fayetteville.

Amy and Matt Certain said...

I don't even know what to say or where to begin, except good luck with everything you have to deal with.
Sunil he is NOT!!