January 25, 2007

Back Among the Living


So I'm still alive. After staying home yesterday, I think I'm cured. While I was buckling Lillee Grace into Joy's van to go to preschool, Mary was in the house boiling a pot of liquor. I do mean Maker's Mark, a vat of honey and a squirt or two of lemon juice. We poured say 10 oz. into a large coffee mug and she said to drink it fast. Ten minutes later, I saw four Martha Stewarts on tv. A couple of hours later, I emerged from the bed a new woman. It was noon and Scott was already home. Cracker Barrel must have been on his way back from the Reidsville penitentiary because he came home with fried chicken, fried okra, mac -n- cheese and a big ol' plate of chicken and dumplings for me. So here we sat: Scott, Mary, me and Baxter enjoying our lunch on a Wednesday. I swear this family gets stranger by the hour. LG was supposed to come home at 2 so at 2:30 I became a little concerned. Turns out, her driver had an allergic reaction to some nuts and was unable to pick them up. Now I'm feeling like an all-star parent. I'm sitting at home sipping hot totties while my child needs a ride home. Lucky for all involved, LG's driver is the best and everyone turned out okay. Scott took Baxter to the doctor at 4:00 and I took Lillee Grace and Bethany to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart at 5 in the afternoon is never a good idea. It's the selection I always crave; something our local price gouger can never compete with. At 6:00, it was the weekly ritual of going to the feed trough. By the way, Fire Mountain's name has changed to Ryans. However, you don't tell a three-year-old with OCD this 411. There would just be way too much unnecessary discussion. A new dad and little girl joined the circuit last night. God bless them and their arteries.

Speaking of arteries, my dad underwent a MRI of his brain this a.m. as well as an ultrasound of his carotid artery. Wow - when my mom told me that my dad had somewhat of a stroke I was shocked and very upset. I kept it together and was able to mask my feelings because of my wretched voice I already had. Then I spoke to my dad and found out the tests he was about to undergo. My phone beeped and it was Amy. Thank goodness her head is screwed on as loosely as mine because I did have a little hysterical moment. I swear one day they'll make a Desperate Housewives series about us. She always seems to call and be there at the right time and I love her for that. We should find out more tomorrow afternoon.
My pics are of the children this afternoon. It was nice coming home knowing we didn't have too much to do. However, when I left home at 7:30 this a.m. LG was wearing this satin nylony nightgown AKA "trailer dress." Well, when I got home at 4:30 this afternoon, this seems to be what she was still wearing. It got cuter when she put on the red Elmo sunglasses but I was without camera for that shot. After taking Mary home, I was getting supper ready when I realized Baxter was too quiet. I found him here, under the dining room table. Despite what the picture may say, he was happy as a lark. LG and I made a box of Valentine's cookies for her class tomorrow. Scott is co-oping so that should make for a very interesting dialogue tomorrow night. As long as Nancy, LG's teacher, draws crayola diagrams of where Scott should sit and what he should do, things should go smoothly.

No comments: