January 17, 2007

Imaginative Play


As I sit listening to the rain getting louder, I am dreaming of Monica Kauffman canceling school tomorrow. The weather is terrible, and all I can think of is sleeping late. When I got home today, Lillee Grace had on the same hoochie mama outfit she's been wearing for three days. I picked out a solid black long sleeves leotard with pink monogramming on it. Coincidentally, five of the seven girls in dance class this past Tuesday had on the same black leotard. Not my gem. She picked out the fuschia pink leotard with rhinestones around the neck and a big satin bow at the hip. NICE!

After picking up both kids and taking our Mary home, I ran by the local nursery and picked up a plant for my dear friend in Jackson whose father died this past Sunday. We ran by Sandra's to run through each decoration and food item that will be at Bunco tomorrow night. It's at her house, but I am the helper. I will be taking cookie dough truffles,the famous hot sauce chicken dip, sushi and the kicker: three bottles of champagne and the newly discovered Pama (Pomegranate liquor). It should be quite the party; since this is the first Bunco since my blog has begun, I will take lots of pictures. Hence, I have been slaving all night in the kitchen. Gnocchi and tomato basil along with green beans and garlic bread was the family meal. Then, I had the task of cooking two chicken dishes since I'm taking one to Bunco and one is going to my friend's house in Jackson. I really do try to be June Cleaver. It's just really difficult and one has to resign themselves to the fact that you must lose sleep in order to be June. Mind you, Ward always looked refreshed. Of course, he was in the bed at 9 p.m. reading The Stepford Gazette. It was June that had Wally helping with the trash, dishes and dusting after hours. I'll bet you she had a secret bathroom she would hide in and look at Playgirl. I'll just bet.


Obviously, with all the hoopla going on in the kitchen, Scott had to clock in to help. However, I'm wondering if she'll be scarred for life considering the conversations I overhead taking place. For some unknown reason, Lillee Grace's carseat is in our kitchen? Not to go unused, Scott placed her in it and said they were on their way to Fire Mountain. Here I am trying to get things cleaned up and put away and I've got a caravan following the imaginary Mr. Jim and Katelin to the feed trough while she's supposedly "watching Dora in the backseat." Well, I'll say, he's created a monster. Next, she wants me to sit on his darn stool he's concocted so I can drive the baby ring steering wheel and take her to dance class. After I got them from under my wing and had the last pot washed, I found them in the living room in a circle with a small silver angel (Ben), one of my grapevine balls (Emily) and "the king waiting to dance with her" in the chair. She was so excited that her daddy was acting like a complete idiot with her while she made up all of these stories and played. I guess these are the things we do for our kids and it's so much fun seeing the fascination with it all. Maybe one day I'll tell her the story of when mommy was a little girl and my imaginary friend, Squashes would come from North Carolina and hang out with me. Until then, we'll continue to have tea parties and road trips with whomever she thinks of!
Come on Monica, I'm waiting...

No comments: