January 21, 2007

Degree from the internet

We've just returned home from a luncheon at church. After church, we picked Mary up so she could watch the kids. She and Lillee Grace decided on a low-carb lunch from Louise's where their meal consisted of dressing and macaroni and cheese. After Scott and I spent some much needed alone time riding around looking at houses and drinking Diet Cokes, we headed back to the church. The new president of Mercer University was to speak and have a Q&A session. I was a little intimidated to be among such scholars and we sat with three ministers from the church. The tables, flowers and food were beautiful. Scott enjoyed being able to pontificate with the make up of this crowd. He truly was in his element.
There were lots of interesting conversations at our table. I commented at what smart company I was in. Seminary graduates were discussing their competing schools such as Emory, McAfee, Stetson, Southwestern, etc. when someone announced they went to Baylor. I remarked how I loved my George. Scott had to make his political views known by rescinding, "speaking of smart people." There was another couple discussing their fasting and how awe-inspiring and what a refreshing thing it is. Someone who overheard the conversation mistook them for speaking of colonics. Now I was in my element. Everyone was talking about the prestigious schools they went to and how their seminary differed from others. Bringing Scott down a notch, I turned to the person sitting to my left and said, "This is so nice; you can't get all this from a degree on the internet."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post and great blog! I really enjoy reading about the Key family! You did forget Samford in your list of prestigious institutions for higher learning. I'm a little offended.